We are a small business offering XML-based technical publishing as a SAAS service. Currently our publishing jobs run on Azure VMs. We have a peaky workload so are looking at Azure Batch as a way of scaling our capacity to meet demand.
We are Azure novices and want some help to create a POC to check out the following:
1. Set up Azure Batch and Storage accounts
2. Create VM’s from an existing VM (image)
3. Update VM’s with “small” application code changes. Need to decide what is part of the image (e.g. special font files) vs updates applied to the VM after creation in the pool.
4. Load jobs onto queue(s) and run jobs. Retrieve (or potentially just inspect) results. (We will use Postman or adapt an existing program to submit batch jobs through our Restful API’s. May also need to modify our API’s, in which case we might look at the Azure API service as the front end to Azure batch.)
5. Demonstrate ability to automatically scale up and scale down capacity
6. Determine the best configuration / options for delivering our interactive and batch publishing services
7. Determine the business SLA’s we can afford to offer and the costs for each service.
8. Understand where custom code is needed, changes to our existing application is needed.
9. Understand the operational aspects of using Azure batch.