We are willing to take additional quotes if our budget is under estimated.
I need a small vehicle tracker that records odometer/mileage, engine rpm and time information and will pair and sync this data automatically with an external computer device like a smart phone, mobile device or computer.
Requirements of device:
- works with vehicle 12v power supply and independent of having to connect to existing vehicle harness like an OBD port. in other words, it can be placed anywhere on the vehicle as long as a 12v power can get to it. i.e., next to the battery, attached to a motorcycle handlebar, or possibility to plug into usb port power.
- to be used with any type of gas powered motorcycle
- readings are only tracked when vehicle is running, usually made possible by getting a reading from vehicles spark plug or ignition switch.
- no display needed or external on unit user functions needed (plug and play)
- real time data transfer and monitoring with external device
- able to withstand temperatures from -40F to 200F and be waterproof.
- virtually indestructible
- internal rechargeable backup battery to retain information between data transfers if vehicle power goes down
- encrypted or pass code protected
- can be operated with external device to save or clear data, update future firmware, calibrate device settings, etc.
- device will be used in conjunction with external device application for either iPhone, iPad, android, or computer
I want this device to be as simple as possible for the user. It is meant to work automatically with no maintenance by the user. It should be able to automatically pair with external device without the need for user input. I originally thought bluetooth would be a good option, but if it's not turned on or if another bluetooth device I've heard it can cause data transfer issues. I've also heard that gps data can be transmitted instead without data interruption. Anyway, I'm willing to consider options. This item will be used solely in the US and need to be legal to operate according to the FCC.
It could be cool if a motion sensor was also in the unit to collect data from driving habits, etc. Also if there is a way the device could collect engine temperature data that would be cool too.
I'm not an engineer and am very willing to take additional advice on this project. I will explain more in detail how the device will be used in the real world and what it needs to do., etc
I would like to retain all schematics, firmware source files and code for the project as this will only be a work for hire. Our company will be the 100% sole owner of all copyrights, patents, etc. However, our company may be looking for an engineer and or software developer to partner with. If you are interested in such a venture, please let us know so that we may consider options.
This is a one off prototype project, however in the near future will like to manufacture these by the thousands.